OsiriX is an image processing software dedicated to DICOM images (".dcm" / ".DCM" extension) produced by imaging equipment (MRI, CT, PET, PET-CT, SPECT-CT, Ultrasounds, ...). It is fully compliant with the DICOM standard for image comunication and image file formats. OsiriX is able to receive images transferred by DICOM communication protocol from any PACS or imaging modality (C-STORE SCP/SCU, and Query/Retrieve : C-MOVE SCU/SCP, C-FIND SCU/SCP, C-GET SCU/SCP, WADO) .
OsiriX has been specifically designed for navigation and visualization of multimodality and multidimensional images: 2D Viewer, 3D Viewer, 4D Viewer (3D series with temporal dimension, for example: Cardiac-CT) and 5D Viewer (3D series with temporal and functional dimensions, for example: Cardiac-PET-CT). The 3D Viewer offers all modern rendering modes: Multiplanar reconstruction (MPR), Surface Rendering, Volume Rendering and Maximum Intensity Projection (MIP). All these modes support 4D data and are able to produce image fusion between two different series (PET-CT and SPECT-CT display support).
OsiriX is at the same time a DICOM PACS workstation for imaging and an image processing software for medical research (radiology and nuclear imaging), functional imaging, 3D imaging, confocal microscopy and molecular imaging.
Who is behind OsiriX? Read the User Manual introduction: OsiriX History.
OsiriX is currently developped and maintained by Pixmeo, a Geneva based company in Switzerland.
Looking for certified version for using OsiriX in clinical environments? We distribute a FDA-Cleared version for primary diagnostic imaging: OsiriX MD, or you can go to our partners page to find a certified version of OsiriX.
OsiriX is available in 32-bit and 64-bit format. The 64-bit version allows you to load an unlimited number of images, exceeding the 4-GB limit of 32-bit applications. The 64-bit version is also fully optimized for Intel multi-cores processors, offering the best performances for 3D renderings.
OsiriX supports a complete plug-ins architecture that allows you to expand the capabilities of OsiriX for your personal needs! This plug-in architecture gives you access to the powerfull Cocoa framework with an easy object-oriented and dynamic language: Objective-C.
DICOM File Support
- Read and display all DICOM Files (mono-frame, multi-frames)
- Read and display the new MRI/CT multi-frame format (5200 group)
- JPEG Lossy, JPEG Lossless, JPEG-LS, JPEG 2000, RLE
- Monochrome1, Monochrome2, RGB, YBR, Planar, Palettes, ...
- Support custom (non-square) Pixel Aspect Ratio
- 8, 12, 16, 32 bits
- Write 'SC' (Secondary Capture) DICOM Files from any 2D/3D reconstructions
- Read and display all DICOM Meta-Data
- Read AND Write DICOM CD/DVD (DICOMDIR support)
- Export DICOM Files to TIFF, JPEG, Quicktime, RAW, DICOM, PACS
- CD/DVD Creation with DICOMDIR support, including cross-platform viewer (Weasis)
- Built-in SQL compatible database with unlimited number of files
DICOM Network Support
- Send studies (C-STORE SCU, DICOM Send)
- Receive studies (C-STORE SCP, DICOM Listener)
- Query and Retrieve studies from/to a PACS workstation (C-FIND SCU, C-MOVE SCU, WADO)
- Use OsiriX as a DICOM PACS server (C-FIND SCP, C-MOVE SCP, WADO)
- On-the-fly conversion between all DICOM transfer syntaxes
- C-GET SCU/SCP and WADO support for dynamic IP transfers
- DICOM Printing support
- Seamless integration with OsiriX HD for iPhone/iPad
- Seamless integration with any PACS server, including the open-source dcm4chee server
Non-DICOM Files Support
- LSM files from Zeiss (8, 16, 32 bits) (Confocal Microscopy)
- BioRadPIC files (8, 16, 32 bits) (Confocal Microscopy)
- TIFF (8, 12, 16, 32 bits), multi-pages
- ANALYZE (8, 12, 16, 32 bits)
- PNG, JPEG, PDF (multi-pages), Quicktime, AVI, MPEG, MPEG4
- Intuitive GUI
- Customizable Toolbars
- Bicubic Interpolation with full 32-bit pixel pipeline
- Thick Slab for multi-slices CT and MRI (Mean, MIP, Volume Rendering)
- ROIs: Polygons, Circles, Pencil, Rectangles, Point, ... with undo/redo support
- Key Images
- Multi-Buttons and Scroll-wheel mouses supported, including Magic Trackpad support.
- Custom CLUT (Color Look-Up Tables)
- Custom 3x3 and 5x5 Convolution Filters (Bone filters, ...)
- 4D Viewer for Cardiac-CT and other temporal series
- Image Fusion for PET-CT & SPECT-CT exams with adjustable blending percentage
- Image subtraction for XA
- Hanging Protocols
- Tiles export
- 2D Image Registration & Reslicing
- Image stiching
- Plugins support for external functions
- Multi-threaded for multi-processors and multi-core processors support
- Asyncronous reading
- OpenGL for 2D Viewer and all 3D Viewers
- Graphic board accelerated, with 3D texture mapping support
- Available in 32-bit and 64-bit
Expansion & Scientific Research
- OsiriX supports a complete dynamic plugins architecture
- Access pixels directly in 32-bits float for B&W images or ARGB values for color images
- Create and manage windows
- Access the entire Cocoa framework
- Create and manage OpenGL views
- Faster than IDL, Easier than ImageJ !
Based on robust Open-Source components
- Cocoa (OpenStep, GNUStep, NextStep)
- VTK (Visualization Toolkit)
- ITK (Insight Toolkit)
- PixelMed (David Clunie)
- Papyrus 3.0
- DICOM Offis DCMTK
Complete DICOM Conformance statement for OsiriX is available here.
Using Osirix to generate DICOM CD or DVD
Are you planning to generate DICOM CD-Roms for your institution or your radiology department?
Did you know you can install OsiriX Lite as a stand-alone DICOM viewer in a DICOM CD-Rom? Do you want a cross-platform DICOM viewer? install our Java viewer, Weasis.
Read the OsiriX Guides
for more technical informations about OsiriX structure.